About the Chapter
The American Planning Association Iowa Chapter (APA Iowa) is a membership organization of approximately four hundred professional planners, planning educators, planning commissioners and planning students from across the state of Iowa. The Iowa Chapter is officially recognized as a subordinate organization of the American Planning Association and as such is registered as a 501c3 organization for educational purposes.
APA Iowa’s mission is to strengthen planning to create thriving communities. We do this through celebration, advocacy, relationships, and education of our members and communities.
- Work to maintain and grow the membership of the Chapter, as well as engage members in order to sustain the viability of the organization and the services it provides.
- Connect planners to each other and allied professionals. The Chapter will promote and deliver training and will inspire current and future planners by providing educational and professional development opportunities to its members.
- Enhance the quality of life by advocating for planning principles that touches all aspects of place and engages all members of society. The Chapter will promote the benefits of planning for Iowa and the region.
- Affect changes in policies and laws that support the values of good planning through legislative efforts that promote “best planning practices” to improve the quality of life for all Iowans.
- Recognize people and projects that promote outstanding planning practice, public involvement in planning, and the creation of valued places in Iowa.
- Facilitate a communication “umbrella” that encompasses the citizens of Iowa, universities, students, professional planners, and allied professionals.
- Efficiently and effectively administer the business of the Chapter.
Stay Current in the Planning Field
Membership allows you to receive, notices of up-coming conferences and special mailings produced by the Chapter. The Chapter will keep you at the top of your game with state-of-the art knowledge in planning. Advance your professional expertise through local and state planning workshops and events, the annual state and national planning conferences, and AICP certification and Advanced Specialty Certification.
Make a Difference at the Capitol
Unite with other planners in one powerful voice introducing and influencing legislation to shape planning in Iowa Our members have been very effective in bringing APA Iowa's planning expertise to the Capitol, and our legislative agenda and planning principles to law.
Network with Other Planners
You're not in this alone. Other planners across the state and in your local area share the same planning issues as you. Don't reinvent the wheel. Find out how others are dealing with your challenges. Make new friends who share your interest in planning. Employers are looking for smart APA members at APA conferences, APA local events. Iowa APA will keep you up to date using social media such as Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Find and Keep the Good Jobs
Let your current employer know you take your job seriously. Prospective employers regularly attend APA conferences and events searching for sharp APA members to join their firms and agencies. Most consultant firms and numerous planning agencies prefer AICP-qualified planners.