Linn County Planning & Development
Cedar Rapids, IA United States
Essential Functions Include:
- Provides technical assistance to the public, surveyors, engineers, developers, attorneys and other county, city and state departments on zoning and development requirements; site design alternatives; and department procedures and policies under direct supervision.
- Prepares and edits draft staff reports on planning, zoning, and land use issues, including all cases for internal department review and prepares final reports for public distribution.
- Conducts office and field research and investigations on a variety of planning projects and issues, including sustainable development, hazard planning, economic development, local food system planning, storm water management, erosion and sediment control, alternative and renewable energy, demographic trends, community development, and sound and innovative new planning practices. Prepares draft reports and planning documents for internal department review.
- Attends pre-application meetings, Technical Review Committee meetings, Planning & Zoning Commission and Board of Adjustment meetings, and Board of Supervisors meetings and ensures that follow-up from such meetings is conducted.
- Coordinates and attends Food System Council meetings and Historic Preservation Commission meetings and ensures that follow-up on amending reports and address issues from such meetings is conducted.
- Reviews site plans, plats, plat bound copies and other development plans for conformity to ordinance requirements. Under direct supervision, informs applicants and surveyors of changes or requirements, which must be met before final approval.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited college or university in planning, landscape architecture, urban geography, or a related field required. Qualifying internship in a municipal, county, or private planning office is preferred.
- Classroom knowledge of government functions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees, the public, governmental agency representatives, development professionals, and neighborhood groups.
- Opportunity to work-from-home 20% time
- Potential for growth within the department depending on future experience and certifications
New Hire: $26.18 · 90 days: $27.53 · 1 year: $29.00 · 2 years: $30.56 · 3 years: $32.24
Closing: 8/18/2022 5:00 PM Central