City of Waukee
Waukee, IA United States
The City Planner assists the Development Services Director in performing routine and complex technical work related to the development review process including rezoning applications, preliminary plats, final plats and site plans as well as assists in the development and enforcement of the zoning and subdivision codes of the City.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & SUCCESS FACTORS
- Assists in the development review process including review of zoning requests, subdivisions, plats and site plans. Prepares staff comments and correspondence with various property owners, engineers and architects.
- Assists in the administration of applications for variance, special use permits, special exceptions and related matters for action by the Board of Adjustment and Board of Appeals including the preparation of agendas, written reports with recommendations for action, meeting publication, notification to adjacent property owners and record and file action taken.
- Assists in the preparation of agendas, staff reports and recommendations for Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council for rezoning applications, subdivision plats and site plans.
- Reviews activity related to zoning permits to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations; initiates communication and actions in order to achieve corrective action.
- Responds to public or other inquiries and concerns relative to the City’s planning and zoning operations and applicable codes within area of responsibility.
- Assists in the enforcement of the property maintenance codes for the City.
- Compiles information and completes required reports; organizes and presents at public meetings as requested.
- Corresponds with outside agencies and others as necessary; attends meetings as necessary.
- Assists other City departments with planning-related services as directed.
- Able to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a systematic approach to decision making; to identify the important dimensions of a problem, determine potential causes, obtain relevant information and specify alternate solutions that result in effectiveness.
- Display strong analytical and exceptional communication skills.
- Perform in a self-directed fashion.
- Demonstrate sound time-management skills by effectively or efficiently organizing, prioritizing, and completing multiple assignments in a timely manner.
- Attend administrative, department, and team meetings as scheduled.
- Continually seek and accept opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Contribute to overall City effectiveness by providing critical staff support to task forces and by participating, as necessary, in assisting all other teams.
- Safeguard confidential information and use it or disclose it only as expressly authorized or specifically required in the course of performing specific job duties.
- Ability to work independently as well as in an overall team environment is essential.
- Attentive to the City’s standards for customer service, accuracy, quality, efficiency and all City policies and procedures ensuring that that all work performed meets those standards.
- Bachelor’s Degree in planning, urban development or a closely related field.
- Three years’ experience in a staff planning position in a city or county government or with a planning consultant.
- Access to transportation with insurance at required state levels to conduct business throughout the assigned area.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of land use planning as well as strong analytical, writing and communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, City Council, City employees, vendors and other agencies.
- Ability to read, analyze and clearly interpret professional publications, technical manuals and complex regulations and to communicate these in understandable terms.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
- Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of directors, staff, developers, contractors, colleagues, elected officials and the general public.
- Able to function productively in a standard office environment accessing cabinets, shelving, work areas and office equipment.
- Able to sit for long periods of time and to maintain focus on project such as computer screen.
- Able to effectively communicate orally (in person and over the telephone) and in writing (using electronic devices and handwritten) in English with other employees and the community.
- Climate controlled office with hazards typical to that environment.
- Position requires travel within and outside of the City which imposes common travel hazards.
- Standard work hours will be Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM and position may include meetings, presentations and events during weekends and evenings.
- Willing to work long hours if necessary to meet the expectations of the job description.
- To successfully fulfill the essential functions of this position, employee must maintain standard work hours within Waukee City Hall.
Deadline to apply: 7/27/2021