Code Enforcement Officer
City of Indianola, Iowa
Indianola, IA United States
The City of Indianola is currently welcoming applications for the position of a full time Code Enforcement Officer
The City of Indianola (pop. 14,782) is a growing community with a historic downtown, located approximately 15 minutes south of Des Moines. It is a safe community with Midwestern values, friendly people and excellent schools. Indianola, which is home to Simpson College, the world-renowned Des Moines Metro Opera and the National Balloon Museum and U.S. Ballooning Hall of Fame, is known for its excellent access to outdoor activities, a nice trail system, five major parks and two golf courses. The community welcomes thousands of visitors annually who come to Indianola to enjoy major events such as the National Balloon Classic, Bike Night, the Warren County Fair and other events.
Starting salary is $48,392 ($23.266 hourly) with benefits. This is a full-time position that will work 40 hours a week. This is a non-union classified position. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a post-offer drug screening and background check. This position is open until filled.
This position is responsible for a number of tasks, including, but not limited to:
- Manages municipal residential rental inspection program
- Inspects residential rental units and ensures compliance with relevant codes and ordinances
- Maintains inspection records
- Investigates nuisances and zoning code violations and ensures compliance with relevant codes and ordinances
- Obtains evidence and generates reports and research concerning violations
The successful candidate will have:
- Graduation from high school; supplemented by additional vocational education is preferred.
- Two (2) year experience in municipal residential rental inspection program and the enforcement of the municipal nuisance and zoning code and/or any combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record.
- Ability to detect and locate items residential rental, zoning code, and nuisance violations.
- Good physical condition
*** See the job description for full list of duties and requirements***
The City of Indianola is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need any accommodations during the selection process because of a disability, please notify the Human Resources department at (515) 961-9410 and we will provide appropriate accommodations.