City of Indianola
Indianola, IA United States
The City of Indianola is currently welcoming applications for the position of Planning Intern for the Community Development Department.
The City of Indianola (pop. 14,782) is a growing community with a historic downtown, located approximately 15 minutes south of Des Moines. It is a safe community with Midwestern values, friendly people and excellent schools. Indianola, which is home to Simpson College, the world-renowned Des Moines Metro Opera and the National Balloon Museum and U.S. Ballooning Hall of Fame, is known for its excellent access to outdoor activities, a nice trail system, five major parks and two golf courses. The community welcomes thousands of visitors annually who come to Indianola to enjoy major events such as the National Balloon Classic, Bike Night, the Warren County Fair and other events.
This position is responsible for a number of tasks, including, but not limited to:
• Provides support to the Community Development department
• Assists department with development case reviews, staff reports, and research
• Assists with reviewing permit applications and code enforcement items
• Prepares maps of limited or variable complexity
• Manages a full meeting calendar
Minimum requirements include:
• Bachelor’s degree with coursework in Planning or minimum two semesters of college working toward a degree in Planning, or related field.
• Basic understanding of planning principles
• General knowledge of zoning ordinances, building codes, property maintenance codes, GIS, Beacon, Code of Iowa
• Motivated self-starter able to work independently
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment
The pay range for this position is $13.00/hour depending on qualifications. This is a temporary, non-union position. This internship position is needed approximately May 10th to August 20th, requiring 40 hours per week. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a post-offer drug screening and background check. Position is open until filled.
Internal employees should fill out the Internal Job Transfer Application Form to apply.
External candidates can apply through the website at: https://www.indianolaiowa.gov/410/Human-Resources.
The City of Indianola is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need any accommodations during the selection process because of a disability, please notify the Human Resources department at (515) 961-9410 and we will provide appropriate accommodations.