Community Development Director
Town of Grand Chute
Grand Chute, WI United States
Community Development Director
Grand Chute, population 23,227, is located in Wisconsin's Fox Cities region, a metropolitan area of 370,000 residents. With a tax base of $2.3 billion, Grand Chute is the area's commercial and retail center. The Fox River Mall anchors a regional shopping, hospitality, and entertainment district. Grand Chute is home to the main campus of Fox Valley Technical College; Fox Cities Stadium (featuring the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Class A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers); Gordon Bubolz Nature Preserve; several community and neighborhood parks; and, an extensive network of pedestrian and bicycle facilities. The community features a strong and diverse employment base. Among our major employers are: Pierce Manufacturing, Presto Products, McCain Foods USA, Dixon Ticonderoga, and Werner Electric.
Purpose of Position
The purpose of this position is to organize, manage and direct the work of the Community Development Department, including planning and zoning, economic development, building inspections, GIS, property assessment, and code enforcement functions of the Town. The position serves in the capacity of Executive Director of the Community Development Authority of the Town of Grand Chute, It also serves as a key adviser to the Town Administrator and Town Board on matters of importance to the community. The work is performed under the direction of the Town Administrator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Plans, organizes and directs department activities through effective management of staff and fiscal resources.
- Develops, directs and administers the economic development function from conception to completion, including tax increment financing activities, project negotiations, real estate acquisition and disposition, site and infrastructure planning, public-private partnerships, and marketing.
- Directs the land use and zoning functions through review of private project development plans for compliance with codes and standards.
- Directs the building inspection function through establishment of policies and procedures, and overall management of inspection and code enforcement staff.
- Directs GIS program of work through coordination of needs by all municipal departments and external users.
- Directs the property assessment function through management of contracted services provided by private vendor.
- Serves in the capacity of Executive Director to the Community Development Authority of the Town of Grand Chute, providing management and supervision of project financing and development activities.
- Prepares, presents and manages department budgets; directs and manages all fiscal responsibilities of the department.
- Supervises planning, inspection, and GIS staff. Recruits, selects, develops and trains personnel. Prioritizes and assigns duties and tasks. Evaluates job performance and administers discipline as necessary.
- Performs management-level research and analysis, and provides recommendations to the Town Administrator and Town Board on polices or programs regarding growth and development, economic development, property assessment, codes and ordinances, and new initiatives.
- Directs, manages and oversees the selection of professional consultants and contractors, the negotiation and execution of contracts and agreements with business owners, developers, financial institutions, and other vendors, and monitors contracted service performance to ensure the delivery of services in compliance with applicable laws, rules, regulations and policies.
- Represents the department as a key staff resource to Town Board, Plan Commission, Community Development Authority, Board of Appeals, and Joint Review Board.
- Represents the Town in various capacities with partner organizations, including Fox Cities Transit Commission, East Central Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission, Outagamie County, Fox Cities Convention & Visitors Bureau, and Fox Cities Chamber of Commerce.
- Maintains positive working relationships with developers, architects, engineers, builders, consultants, the news media and the public.
- Collaborates with other municipal departments.
- Assists other department staff with performing duties, as needed.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or related field.
- Eight years of progressive experience in local or regional government planning, development, and staff supervision.
The Town may consider an equivalent combination of education, training or work experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of laws, principles and practices related to planning and zoning, economic development, redevelopment, and real estate.
- Advanced knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of local government operations, personnel administration, and financial management.
- Knowledge of GIS programs and applications, and working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Access.
- Basic understanding of civil engineering principles.
- Strong technical and persuasive writing skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with elected officials, Town staff, property owners, developers, engineers, architects, grant funders, and the public.
- Strong verbal communication skills that ensure effective speaking and listening when conveying information on Town programs, policies, and initiatives, both within and outside the organization.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with diverse audiences, including under stressful conditions with individuals or groups who may be skeptical, argumentative or disagreeable; ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships; and, the ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to gather data, analyze information, and make recommendations to Town officials, boards, and commissions.
- Ability to perform financial analyses related to development proposals, real estate transactions and partnership agreements.
- Ability to multi-task on a variety of high-level projects within the timeframe required, while maintaining an effective system for prioritizing work efforts.
- Ability to use computer and software technology to manage department staff and programs.
EEO/ADA Policy Statement
The Town of Grand Chute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Town will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
The duties and responsibilities listed in this position description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work that may be performed and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the Town and requirements of the position change. This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee.