Deputy Planning Administrator
City of Des Moines
Des Moines, IA United States
Closing Date: 12/18/20 at 5 pm CT
Salary: $90,646.40 - $114,816.00 Annually
Occupational Group: Civil Service
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Vacancy Location: Development Services
Plans, organizes and directs the operations and activities of the Planning and Urban Design Division of the Development Services Department as assigned; performs directly related work as required. The principal function of an employee in this class is to assist the Planning and Urban Design Administrator in operations and activities of the Planning Division and to perform the duties of the Planning and Urban Design Administrator in an absence. The work is performed under the direct supervision of the Planning and Urban Design Administrator, but extensive leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgement and initiative. Supervision is exercised over the work of employees within the Planning Division as assigned. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City employees, business and community groups, State and Federal officials, representatives of the media and the public. The principal duties of this class are performed in a general office environment.
Please note: Position expected to be filled per usual process timeline:
Recruitment for and the projected timeline for filling this vacancy is not impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. This position is part of an operation that must be performed regardless of circumstances.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Architecture or Landscape Architecture; and
- Considerable experience in planning functions with a municipality; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- AICP, ASLA, or AIA certification/registration preferred.
NOTE: Transcripts verifying degree conferred or copies of certifications need to be submitted to the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department to receive credit. Please send electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail to 1551 E MLK Jr Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50317 by the application deadline.
REQUIRED SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer physical examination and drug screen.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Possession of a valid Iowa driver’s license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Supervises and evaluates the work of assigned employees; recommends personnel actions related to selection, disciplinary procedures, performance, leaves, grievances, work schedules, and assignments; administers personnel policies and procedures;
- Addresses urban and development needs within the City of Des Moines;
- Monitors planning projects to ensure timely and accurate completion in accordance with program objectives;
- Assists with the preparation and maintenance of a general plan;
- Assists with development planning activities, including plan reviews, responding to requests for information from the public, writing zoning ordinance text amendments and providing administrative support to assigned boards and commissions;
- Conducts input processes for community and neighborhood groups relating to planning functions;
- Represents the Development Services Department on issues relating to planning, including serving as a liaison for the City Manager and City Council and serving on various boards and commissions in times of the Planning and Urban Design Administrator’s absence;
- Provides status reports to the Planning and Urban Design Administrator on planning operations, projects, any major shift in policies or procedures and recommendations for future development;
- Performs special projects for the Planning and Urban Design Administrator as requested;
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to other employees when needed;
- Attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions and reviews publications and other pertinent materials to become and remain current on the principles, practices and new developments in assigned work areas;
- Responds to citizens’ questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner;
- Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities;
- Performs other directly related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification.
An education and experience review will be completed on all qualified applicants. Those applicants deemed most qualified based on the education and experience rating will be considered for certification to an eligibility list for appointment. Applicants who need a reasonable accommodation must inform this office at (515) 283-4213 or TTY at Iowa Relay at 711 or 1-800-735-2942 prior to the closing date.
Submit an online application at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/desmoines